Maybe next year too.
The Cardinals are in desperate need of a pitcher. Would they be in the market for a Barry Zito?
Well, the season hasn't begun yet, so I'd be surprised if any team would even return a call for one of their top 3 starters. The Cards will have to bring a dude up or trade for a .500-at best pitcher.
So, let's talk about how Zito can fit into this mix:
- Zito has never missed a start due to injury, and only one due to sucky. Every pitcher in the St. Louis has had arm surgery.
- Generally, over the course of his massively effedup tenure with the Giants, Z's been a 2nd half guy. Last year, he was a first half guy. This year, maybe he can actually put two decent halves together.
- Zito is a similiar pitcher to Wainwright.
- The Giants would entertain all offers for Z, including and up to a very nice picture of dogs and cats frolicking together, hand drawn by Tony LaRussa himself.
|like this, only sketched in pencil or charcoal, with the animals holding balloons and hands and without the looks of general malaise plastered on their faces|
Downsides to the Cardinals:
- Over the last 3 years, the Pirates are the only NL Central team against which Zito's ERA is under 4
- Oh, and there is the gigantic white elephant wearing a top hat and monocle lighting cigars with dollar bills over there in the corner. All 3 years worth of that elephant.
|oh yeah, he's on a ball too|
Tony LaRussa thinks he can find the replacement in camp (or settle for Kevin Millwood........I wouldn't take Kevin Millwood), but hopefully he knows that the offer is on the table.